Dial 911 for emergencies:
Children should know how to dial 911 in case of an emergency. They should memorize their address so they can tell the dispatcher where the emergency is.
If Fire Strikes:
- Stay Low! If your house fills with smoke, crawl low.
- Feel the door! If it’s hot, find another way out.
- Get out and stay out! Once you have escaped, never go back inside a burning building. Get out first, and then go to a neighbor’s house to call 911.
- Never Hide! Don’t try to hide from fire; you have to get out as soon as you can.
Have an Escape Plan:
- Know two ways out of every room.
- Identify a meeting place a safe distance from the home.
- Practice the plan- Have a parent push a smoke alarm button to start the drill, get out fast and head to the meeting place.
- Check out the Kids and Parents Fire Safety guide below.
Smoke detectors are very important tool to help keeps your home safe. Smoke detectors will sound an alarm and to tell you there is a fire in home. Ask your parents to make sure your home has working smoke detectors and then remind them to change the batteries once a month.
If your cloths catch on fire:
Stop, Drop and Roll! Continue to roll until the fire is out.
Matches and Lighters:
Never play with matches or lighters. If you find matches or a lighter tell an adult.
Cooking is the most common cause of home fires. If your parents have decided you’re old enough to cook, remember to never leave the kitchen when you’re cooking. Don’t let yourself become distracted with phone calls or a knock at the door.
Home Fire Safety Inspection:
- Ask your parents to help you perform a home fire safety inspection. Use the checklist below.
- Test you smoke detectors.
- Know two ways out of every room in your home.
- Make a family escape plan and designate a meeting place.
- Make sure electrical outlets are not overloaded.
- Keep a clear space of at least 3 feet around heaters.
- Make sure the area around your home’s hot water heater and furnace is clean and nothing is stored near them.
- Make sure the vent to the clothes dryer is clean.
- Candles should be used by adults. Candles need a sturdy base and must never be left unattended while in use.